What is a roof?
The roof is the covering of every residential or business building. The roof is the highest point of an object that protects the object from atmospheric influences (rain, snow, sun…). The roof should be functional and represent protection from weather disasters.
What type of roof to choose?
The material from which the roof will be made depends on the type of building, the roofing materials themselves as well as the geographical area. We often choose the roof on the basis of local, traditional and state regulations that one country prescribes.
Advantages and disadvantages of a metal roof
Whether you are renovating an old roof or installing a new roof you need to keep in mind all the materials available to cover your facility.
The advantages of a metal roof are:
- Metal roofs are long lastng, they can last from 40 to 70 years, all depending on the material. Unlike traditional clay tiles whose age is about 15-20 years.
- Metal roofs are resistant to wind gusts. Durability of metal roofs in wind gusts is up to 150 miles per hour. The metal roof will not corrode and will not crack on impact.
- The metal roof does not require expensive maintenance, but it is desirable to periodically inspect the roof to make sure that no repairs are needed.
- Metal roofs are not flammable, more precisely, they will not catch fire during a lightning strike or if there is a fire in a neighboring building, there will be no spread of fire because the metal roofs are fireproof.
- Energy-efficient metal roofs because they retain solar heat and thus reduce cooling costs by as much as 10-25%
- If you decide to replace the metal roof, the old metal roof can be completely recycled, which means that the metal roofs are environmentally friendly.
Metal roof defects:
Despite the many advantages, metal roofs have disadvantages.
Metal roofs are more expensive than other types of roofs and are therefore more difficult to obtain. However, if you decide to live there, it will definitely pay off in the long run to invest in a metal roof.
Many people think that metal roofs are noisy, especially when it comes to hail or heavy rain, but with adequate sound insulation, this is an easily solvable problem.
- The metal roof is mainly attached to large panels which due to weather conditions tend to expand and contract, so it is very important that the metal roof is properly installed and fastened with appropriate fasteners.
- If after a few years you need to fix something on the roof or replace it, there will probably be a small difference in color, you will hardly find exactly the same shade of the existing roof.
- Metal roofs are very slippery when they are covered with snow, which is on the other hand an advantage because the snow will slide more easily.
- A very important thing with metal roofs is the correct installation, because if it is installed incorrectly, water can accumulate in certain places, which can cause great damage. You have to keep in mind that some metals rust in certain climatic conditions and that is why we are here to help you choose the right roof covering.
When choosing a metal roof, you must check whether the material from which the metal roof will be built is tested, regardless of whether it is sheet metal, zinc, aluminum, copper or galvanized steel.
Is a metal roof the right choice for your home?
Precisely designed and properly installed metal roof can significantly reduce energy consumption and provide cost savings and thus a return on investment.
The price of a metal roof?
The price of a metal roof depends on the area to be covered. The high initial costs of a metal roof will pay off over a longer period of time, as the longevity of a metal roof with minimal annual maintenance is an investment in the future.
Metal roofs have been known since the Middle Ages when cathedrals were covered with this material. Until recently, metal roofs were used exclusively for industrial facilities, halls, warehouses and the like, but their application began to expand to commercial facilities such as shopping malls, office buildings, resorts and other facilities to expand to residential objects.
The most commonly used metal roof today is a metal roof with a standing bend.
This roof is suitable for all commercial buildings, it consists of metal roof panels that come in the form of hidden joints but also exposed joints.
Concealed joints on metal roof panels provide greater reliability and less chance of roof leaks.
These roofs offer many more advantages over ordinary asphalt roofing materials.
This roof, when installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s specification, can last for many years, providing you with protection without the additional cost of maintenance and repairs.
Today, many architects choose metal roofs because they give a modern look and make them environmentally friendly. We will agree that the initial costs when installing a metal roof are higher, but you will surely compensate for this value in the visually luxurious look of straight lines and the use of metal with a proven energy saving effect and low maintenance costs.
More and more people are taking care of the environment and that is why they easily install solar roof panels on their metal roofs. Solar roof panels will significantly complement the energy efficiency of your home.
Is it a metal roof with a standing bend for roofs that have a large number of skylights?
We do not advise you to install a metal roof if you have more skylights, more badges and more changes in the roof level, as this will further increase the cost of installing a metal roof. If there are several passes, we must process each pass in detail, which increases the days of work in the field.
The Dynamic Exteriors team advises that metal roof panels with a standing bend be placed on straight, flat and simple pitched roof structures. If your roof has multiple slopes, then we recommend an aluminum roof system or a tiled roof that is better suited for complex roof constructions. They are smaller in size and adhere better to surfaces that have more slopes.
Aluminum as a material is light, flexible, but not subject to corrosion. It is ideal for the coastal areas because it is not subject to corrosion, unlike steel, which is subject to corrosion due to the high concentration of salt in the air.
Steel as a roofing material is cheaper, but they are not recommended for the coast. Steel as a material is usually coated with zinc or aluminum which represent protection from the weather and protection against corrosion, such a steel roof is safe and suitable for all areas.
The beauty of copper as a material is a well-known feature that comes at a higher price, but if money is not a problem for you, then the beauty and longevity of this roofing material will bring you great satisfaction.
If you are looking for a trusted company in Illinois, Chicago, which is close ( roofing contractors ) we are here to agree with you as soon as possible on the date, whether to dismantle the existing roof, install a new roof, whether it is a flat roof, TPO, WindSmart , PVC roof , bitumen, metal roof, copper roof, Clay Tiles roof, Cedar Shake Roof